About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney, and I am 25 years old. I am a proud mommy of three beautiful children ranging from the ages 9 to 3. For the past 8 years of my life, I had become heavily addicted to both pain pills and heroin. I lived in this world of denial, and such horrible guilt and shame. In 2009 I began my recovery process and had gone and completed a 30 day program followed by some outpatient, thinking I was good and I had this disease figured out but boy was I wrong. In august of 09 I had a relapse, and when I went back out, life became unmanageable and so insane that I lost everything. I lost trust I worked so hard to get back, I temporarily lost the rights to my children, and I lost all hope in believing life could be better. Since February of this year I have been enrolled in a 7 ½ month outpatient program. In doing so, I have so much more understanding and appreciation for life. By me doing this blog, and talking about my daily struggles and thoughts I hope to show people that with a little bit of work and a lot of effort, life can get better and the possibilities are endless.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MY RESEARCH INFORMATION......

Addiction is a very complicated disorder. Most people believe 6 factors play a big part in addiction.
  1. Genetic Tendency
  2. Peer Pressure
  3. Stress
  4. Experimentation
  5. Addictive Personality
  6. Environment

Researchers estimate 30 to 40 percent of the reason people become addicted to drugs is due to genetic make up. Most believe people who come from a family with addiction will have a greater chance of becoming an addict. Low self esteem, depression, and anxiety also increase chances of addiction especially to drugs. Environment is also very important. If around people who use, if there was a chaotic childhood, or there was abuse in anyway alcohol or drugs provide a means of dealing with feelings of self-hate or alienation. Doing drugs cause some addicts to feel self confident and self assured in social situations. The drugs become a "CRUTCH" which means masking feelings in difficult situations which leads to the cannot do without the "FIX" in order to function. The high experienced causes cravings and a strong desire for the drug. Drug addiction does not discriminate. It doesn't matter about age, gender, ethnicity, social class or religion. No-one is immune to the reaching effects of addiction. But drug addiction doesn't just affect the user. It includes family and friends also. An addiction can develop from the most unlikely source or in someone you might assumed is the last person you would expect. Addiction isn't only about drugs and alcohol. It goes as far as Gambling, Shopping, Coffee, Computer Use, Food and the list goes on and on. All drugs have their problem. Whether classified as a "HARD" or "SOFT" drug. Very few people can beat their addiction on their own. Support is needed and very important. It takes willpower, determination, and around the clock work. Many people relapse, and have to go through programs more then once before being able to say we "KICKED THE HABIT". Drug addicts become controlled by the habit. Everything done is geared towards satisfying the need. Because it gets so uncontrollable crime gets thrown into the mix even though there will be consequences. DRUGS ALTER THE STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF THE BRAIN TO THE EXTENT THAT IT BEHAVES IN AN IRRATIONAL AND UNPREDICTABLE MANNER. CONCENTRATION, JUDGEMENT, RATIONAL THINKING, EMPATHY, AND SELF DISCIPLINE ARE ALL AFFECTED WHICH MAKE CRAVINGS AND DESIRE IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIST. SOME DRUGS CAN CAUSE AN ADDICTION THE FIRST TIME USED.AS YOU TAKE THE DRUG, YOUR BODY BECOMES USED TO IT. THE TOLERANCE GROWS AND LARGER DOSES ARE NEEDED. IF NOT ENOUGH IS USED, THE WITHDRAWLS START. WITHDRAWLS BECOME SO UNPLEASANT THAT YOU USE MORE TO AVOID THAT FROM HAPPENING. You feel like you cant cope without and life becomes difficult to manage and basically consumes your life. No one likes to think of themselves as an addict. Drug addicts are not favored in society and generally public opinion is negative. Because of these reasons it is very easy to deny that there is a problem. It becomes difficult to believe that there even is an addiction, and when realized it is thought to be a sign of weakness or you are now a "BAD PERSON" in the drug addicts mind. With this being said it is important to get the help and support of family and friends rather then try and do it alone. Willpower most of the time isn't enough. Drug treatment and counseling on top of making changes with lifestyle, circle of friends, environment and old behaviours need to be taken serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment